Saturday, November 3, 2012

Daily Funnies


My Saturday started off with a gorgeous run through the Lugazi sugar cane fields, over the Namengo hill, and out to a pristine village set in a fishbowl arena of luscious green. Funny things happen every morning I run, as I am one of a handful of foreigners in the surrounding area, and people don’t generally run for fun here (though the Olympic gold medalist in the marathon this year was Stephen Kiprotich, a Ugandan!)- thus, I’m rather a spectacle.

-       A person I passed said “Mzungu! (“foreigner/white person”) Thank you for the exercise!” This is not uncommon for people to “thank” me for running. So cute.

-       Children often will join me on my run for a while. Laughing all the way- they think it is hilarious! Today these 3 girls who were about 10 years old joined me for about a quarter mile- barefoot, and carrying machetes. Yeah! They were on their way to gather firewood, and thus the tool. They were following me a few steps, and I laughed to myself thinking what this might look like to an onlooker.

-       I came to a muddy area, and nearly slipped a little. The onlooking kids giggled quietly. I recovered easily and kept on going. And then almost slipped in a big way- arms flailing and everything. The kids fell apart with laughter. As they should have. 
;l



No comments:

Post a Comment